Friday, February 7, 2014

Desserts at Broth

After dinner us three decided to head over to Broth, as recommended by Z, for desserts. He had worked there prior and I was curious to see the place that he is still fond off. So we walked from Club Street to Duxton Hill. The restaurant is located at the top of the hill and so suggests that their name BROTH is a play on the words B ar  R estaurant  O n  T he  H ill. Hah ! Cute !

It is nestled within a row of restored shophouses and the interior is chic and modern. Predominantly white interior with mirrored walls to widen the dining area. The restaurant manages to make the space wide yet cosy.

They have quite a few desserts on the menu. We settled for the Sticky Date Pudding, Pavlova and Chocolate Beetroot Cake. They didn't have the Key Lime Tart =( Oh well, another time perhaps.

Sticky Date Pudding with Ice Cream 
 The sticky date pudding was divine. I've had a few renditions of this dessert back in Australia and they can easily turn too sweet and cloying. However, this dessert was exceptional. The pudding was moist and light at the same time. The caramel sauce was carefully brought to the point where there is a hint of bitterness in the sauce. Together with the vanilla ice-cream, it was divine.

Pavlova 
 I'm not personally a fan of Pavlova as I don't enjoy the springy texture of wet meringue. I prefer the drier varieties that get smashed into Eton's Mess. Mmmmm. When I put my spoon into the dessert, I felt some resistance from the meringue - ooh maybe its crispy all the way through - and as the meringue breaks and yields to the mound of perfectly whipped cream, a multitude of cut fruits and passion fruit pulp, I find myself repeatedly going for a second and third spoonful and so on. Soon, it becomes my favourite dessert of the night. Sorry sticky date pudding.

Chocolate Beetroot Cake
 This Beetroot cake is intensely chocolaty.  Its super moist and I think the beetroot gives the cake a very dense and coarse wet crumbed texture. It comes gleaming with a blanket of dark chocolate sauce that I believe has coffee in it as well and a crown of Cadbury Flakes. J enjoyed this dessert but I was more pre-occupied with the pavlova.

Z wasn't really digging into the desserts more so because I believe he must have had them a multitude of times before. So he was gentlemanly enough to let us girls gorge on the desserts... giggles....thanks Z.

Me and J
We had champagne with our desserts as J had really good news to share. Totally happy for you babe and hope all your other dreams come true !

Broth
21 Duxton Hill
Singapore 089604
T : 63233353


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home