Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hoshino Coffee



After some errands in town, Mom and I were contemplating spending the early part of the afternoon at a cafe; sipping coffee (for her - I don't drink coffee) and eating cakes (that's for me). Weeks before we had chanced upon a place that looked inviting but it was near closing for them so we missed the opportunity to dine there. As such, this time around we decided to give it a try.

The first thing that grabs your attention is all the frighteningly realistic looking plastic replicas of the menu. They look good enough for you to want to grab one and sink your teeth into it irregardless of the fact that you might break your jaw on the way. You almost  turn into a kid at a candy store (although that often happens to me). I remember deciding what I wanted to have ... maybe pancakes ... no no souffle perhaps ... a parfait ... oh god the choices ...


So before you get seated the wait staff hands you the menu and a blue sheet to fill out your order. I like the fact that the restaurant does not have too many menu options as I would prefer fewer well-executed dishes rather then a myriad of mediocre ones. Mom had to have her latte and opted for a vanilla souffle whilst I took the french toast stack.

We were promptly seated and served water. We handed over the blue sheet and the wait staff reconfirmed our order. Soon after she placed a printed receipt on our table. I haven't been dining out recently and I'm not sure if I like the idea of placing a printed receipt before the meal has been served. I'm sure it must have been done to manage what is being served to which table and so forth but now that I come to think of it I don't like the idea. 


Mom's latte was served first. I expected to see some drip coffee action around me but it didn't happen. I'm not sure if the drip action happens behind the scenes but oh well. I took a sip of her latte and was immediately hit with a strong roasted coffee taste. Not really sure if that is a good thing or not but Mom loved it and I guess that's all that matters. 

The vanilla souffle took some time to arrive. Understandable as souffles are meant to be baked and eaten straightaway. I found it a little too sweet and 'eggy'. It was soft and pillowy like all souffles but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Mom said she preferred my choice.

The french toast stack was good. Nice mound of french toast with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a dollop of fresh cream which resembled the texture of Cool Whip and a jar of maple syrup. I thought it was going to be 'eggy' but surprise surprise it was mellow and ever so invitingly vanilla scented. The bread was well soaked and so it was soggy inside. Some might not like this but I LOVE soggy bread. Yup I'm the kind that doesn't butter my bread when tomatoes are put in, thus allowing it to get soggy. The surface of the toast was lightly crisped from being pan fried - I would have preferred more crisp but on the whole it was good.

We had a look at what the other diners were having and the food looked and smelled heavenly. All in all, it seems like a really nice place to have a relaxing conversation and good food.

HOSHINO COFFEE 
68 Orchard Road
Plaza Singapura #03-84

Tel : 6338 3277
Open daily from: 11am – 10pm (last order at 9.30pm)

Lunch: 11am – 3pm  

Coffee - S$7.00
Vanilla Souffle - $9.80
French Toast - $9.80
Total Bill - S$31.31

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home