Tuesday, February 18, 2014

2am:dessertbar


I had to meet up with T to plan a hen's night for our cousin M and I had been having the urge to try out desserts at 2amdessertbar in Holland Village. So we made the reservation and waited with bated breath as the day approached.

We decided to go on a Tuesday as I would be in the Commonwealth area on Tuesdays which was near Holland Village. Made the reservation for 9.30pm and I parked in the carpark beside the Cold Storage. I have heard that parking in Holland Village could be a nightmare but the carpark was pretty empty. I guess the nightmares only take form on Fridays and the weekends. Hmph.

The initial feel of the space is very bar like. Nothing really informs you that this is a dessert bar other than its name. The interior is modern with high ceilings, custom table tops and couches (for a more relaxed 'loungy' feel). Its not a very big space so I think reservations will be a must.

The dessert bar / workstation
I had looked through the menu online and knew exactly what I wanted. I was going to have Shades of Green and Chocolate H20 and T chose the Cheesecake. The service staff advised  us to have the H20 later as the sorbet may melt if we're going at three desserts at one time. I appreciated that thought and took his advise.

So we started with two desserts first 
The Shades of Green : pistachio sponge, coco mousse, pandan gula malaka custard. What arrived was a masterpiece ! Art in a plate ! I have had deconstructed desserts at other high end restaurants. Most of the time, its a miss. Separate components on the plate would be amazing but there would be no harmony amongst them. 

Let me tell you - desserts here are not only well executed but they are bloody well singing amazing grace in my ears ! Every component is well thought of. Tastes amazing individually and together even in different pairings. 

The service staff explains the dessert when they serve so that you are aware of what you're going to be eating. This dessert came with the pandan gula malaka custard, served as a quenelle in centre of the dish, with coconut cream mousse on a bed of pistachio crumble (super duper amazing) shards of coconut foam, light pistachio sponge and some sort of tuile dics. Everything was so so good. This dish was the highlight of the evening. And because the custard was so smooth and soft, you would think that it would melt. But it doesn't. So this dessert can be enjoyed at any pace. 

Shades of Green
All shades singing in harmony

 T had the Cheesecake : smoked tofu soup, milk sauce, malt. This cheesecake is not like any other cheesecake we've had. Three squares of cheesecake were set in a pool of cream sauce that had baileys in it (oh my god jump for joy) followed but a column of malt ice cream topped with a layer of passion fruit gelee.

The texture of the cheesecake itself was really different. It felt more like compressed ricotta. As you put it in your mouth, its not smooth but the individual nuggets of cheese just disintegrate ever so softly imbuing the palate with a tart cheesy taste. The bailey's soup was like heaven. I will swim in that soup if I could. I didn't like the passion fruit gelee but T said she liked it. It lend acidity to the dish which cleansed the palate before each bite.

Cheesecake
Us deconstructing the cheesecake
 Midway through our meal - the Chocolate H20 :72% dark chocolate, salted caramel, Evian, yuzu sorbet was served. It's a chocolate mousse made with Evian water to enhance the chocolate flavour. A yuzu sorbet to cleanse the palate and salted caramel. There was chocolate soil for texture and bursts of citrusy gels. The recommended pairing for this dessert was a glass of Finca Constancia Petit Verdot and Syrah 2010. I had a glass of that and happily sipped away the rest of the evening.

It's a very 'chocolatey' dessert. Chocolate is the highlight of this dish. I was sooo intrigued by a mousse made of water. This is going to sound weird but I could taste the water. Or perhaps the lightness of it. Something about this dessert tripped me. But needless to say very well executed again.

H20
 Just when I thought we were going to retire from our meal, T takes the menu and goes -"so what shall we have next". Honestly, I could not have picked a better person for this dinner. I suggested the Purple : purple potato puree, blackberry parfait, leather lavender marshmallows, fruits of the forest sorbet.

This was another art work on display. According to the service staff, it was inspired by a painting, which is the image you see below the dish. T was shocked by how small it was and I was amazed by the colours. This was the perfect end to the meal. The dessert was tart and sweet and fruity. T didn't like the sorbet - she thought it was too tart. I thought it was perfect.

Purple
Purple and I

T and I
 The evening was filled with laughter and bitching and some planning. All in all we had a wonderful wonderful time at 2am:dessertbar. I'm definitely coming again !

Our meal came to S$97 +

2am:dessertbar
21a Lorong Liput
Singapore 277733

T : 62919729

Monday - Saturday : 6pm-2am
Closed on Sundays

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home